Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Better Late Than Never? Not Always...


So, it's the final week of the semester, and I'm meeting all sorts of new people! Except they're not technically, “new”; they're the people I should've met about four months ago – diligent students concerned about their academic future. All them them asking that ever important question: “Am I passing this class?”
First of all, I'm of the opinion that a student who doesn't even know the answer to that question probably has good reason to worry – so that's one strike against them. I've never had a straight-A student ask me that particular question. The might be worried about honor rolls of their valedictorian status; will that last test bring them down to a dreaded A minus or even (*gasp!*) a B+, but the issue of whether or not they are passing is never really in doubt.
That being said, I've heard this question three times in the last week – let's take a look at our Rogues' Gallery:
Student #1 is the Great Communicator – with everyone but me. I don't think I've ever seen her walk into class not deep in conversation – either on the cell phone which I am constantly reminding her she shouldn't have, or with a friend who should, in all likelihood, be somewhere else, as he/she (always someone different!) is not even in my class. Funny how she never seems to mind making them late to catch up on the latest gossip. In class, I am constantly reminding her to stay on task; when she's at her computer (we do a lot of computer-based work), I continually find her updating her Facebook and/or Twitter account (how she bypasses the school filters is a mystery to me) or, failing that, she's texting. In spite of my constant reminders, she's handed in precious little actual work. And now she wants to know if she's passing.
Students 2 and 3 are the Siamese Twins – always together; always at play. All attempts to separate them are in vain. On the rare occasions when one of them is absent, the other manages to be productive and resourceful – but together, they have no interest except joking with each other. The tragedy of it is that one of them is passing (due mostly to the other's spotty attendance), and it's the other one who has, only now, expressed concern over his grades.
Student #4 is the Phantom. I literally only saw him about 4 times in the entire semester. His name is on my roster only because I assume that he never formally withdrew from the class. Lo and behold, today he comes – on the wrong day, since his class doesn't meet until Thursday (a fact I assume he's long since forgotten), and, after reminding me of who he is, doesn't just ask if he's passing, he wants me to promise him that he is.
Lord, grant me strength – the strength not to laugh.
We need to instill in our students the value of diligence and hard work as early as possible – I'm no fan of grades; I'd rather see a student learn and enjoy learning than acquire arbitrary letters and numbers on papers and quizzes, but if a student is going to ask “Am I passing?” They should be doing it throughout the school year. Now is not the time to suddenly realize that “Well, you know, maybe all that slacking off I was doing is going to adversely affect me.” Ears that were deaf to their teachers' advice and admonishments will perk up quickly when they realize their names are not called at graduation.
It's tragic, but such students are the architects of their own failure. Teachers can point the way and encourage, but we cannot learn for them. Students who will not help themselves cannot be helped – certainly not in the last week of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment